Week 3-2

1. Vygotsky  argued that learning has direct affects upon development, as well as language. Scaffolding and assistance from peers can increase learning from already attained knowledge to task that previously require assistance through the Zone of Proximal development. 

2
Image result for teaching scaffoldingThis visual was a nice way me to visual several of the concepts presented including that scaffolding is really a way for a teacher to simply give a helping, lending hand to students to help them obtain the knowledge that they need. Peer groups can also be extremely instrumental in learning as well. The learning that I pictured throughout the processed look like below.

 Image result for teaching scaffolding


3. I believe that Vygotsky offers many great revelations to how learning occurs. With help, an individual

4. I think that this theory is a great theory however I do not feel that this is personally very relevant. As a child, I was expected to learn on my own, in a non group setting, reading and acquiring knowledge from a book. This was clearly very different from this mindset yet I thrived in this environment with my learning. I think that these teaching tools may be better geared to those children who do better in a group type setting and that many people will learn more when they are self sufficient and reliant. This model fits to my learning as well as I do like having assistance but also accomplishing a learning goal on my own as it gives me a sense of pride.

5. Not at this time!

6.

Modules
Topics  & Activity
Check ✓ if Completed
Week 3
Week 3-1

*Due by July 31 at 10:59 am

1) Week 3-1 Reading Quiz
 
2) Week 3-1 Discussion Forum: one initial response & two peer feedback replies
 
3) Week 3-1 Personal Blog Reflection
 
Week 3-2

*Due by July 31 at 10:59 am

1) Week 3-2 Reading Quiz
 
2) Week 3-2 Discussion Forum: One initial response & two peer feedback replies
 
3) Week 3-2 Personal Blog Reflection
 

7.


Comments

  1. Erin,
    I enjoyed all the animations that you included in your blog to illustrate what you were trying to say. I agree with you that not all people will thrive in a group setting because some people just work better alone. I for one, am one of those people who prefer to work alone. Although every once in awhile I do enjoy a group experiment because it allows one to bounce ideas off each other and wherever an individual is weak in then hopefully the other will be strong in and vice versa.
    -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erin,
    Nice summary of Vygotsky’s theory, and the visual of the Zone of Proximal Development is really helpful! It shows how the leaner is still responsible for their learning but is given additional help when needed. The teacher is aiding the learner but not spoon-feeding them the information.
    I also understand your point about working alone vs. in groups. I’m also the type of student who prefers to work alone. However, I think working in groups enhances my communication and problem solving skills which are helpful for any job. And I agree with your point about feeling a sense of pride when I can accomplish something. Glad this aspect of learning works for you!
    Great post and thanks for sharing!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Erin!

    I enjoyed your visual of the Zone of Proximal Development in your blog as well as your personal experience! I think it is important to remember that scaffolding, although it is guided by a MKO usually the teacher it leads to the student being able to become self-sufficient and autonomous. It is a small boost the teacher gives to the student, so the student may being learning by their own trial and error, so eventually the teacher is able to fade away from guided instruction.
    I agree that this method also gives me a sense of pride! Great ideas, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2-1 Social Cognitive Theory and Motivational Theory