Week 3-1

1.
 Piaget uses stages of learning to describe how new knowledge is assimilated and accommodated. This occurs through several stages of learning ranging from infant through adulthood in which constructivism is used, that the learner takes an active role in the process of acquiring knowledge.

2.
With Piaget, learning is done in context of each individual having a unique set of schema in which knowledge is assimilated. If there is no current schema that matches, the knowledge is accommodated by creating a new schema.  Each individual goes through a set of learning stages from Sensory motor, to Pre operations, to concrete operations, to finally formal operations. This type of learning was novel as this was one of the first times that the learner would play an active role in their own education/learning.

3.
The big things that I learned during this module, was how fluid knowledge/learning can be. The use of social interaction and the student playing such a large and active role in learning was refreshing. Also the idea of egocentrism was interesting along with stages of development. While working with dogs, we would routinely test ideas such as permanence during training with them, and it piqued my interest to see these ideas applied to human infants as well.  Here is a great video showing the lack of permanence in dogs.


4.
Piaget's theories very much demonstrate my own personal beliefs. As a science major, much of my further knowledge will rely upon my previous knowledge (or schemas) and be able to filed away like a roladex.  Each new concept is either added to knowledge that is currently there or a new folder must be made for brand new knowledge.

5. So far so good on course learning, I am looking forward to getting started on the next module and my learning plan!!

6.


Modules
Topics  & Activity
Check ✓ if Completed
Week 3
Week 3-1

*Due by July 31 at 10:59 am

1) Week 3-1 Reading Quiz
 
2) Week 3-1 Discussion Forum: one initial response & two peer feedback replies
 
3) Week 3-1 Personal Blog Reflection
 
Week 3-2

*Due by July 31 at 10:59 am

1) Week 3-2 Reading Quiz
 
2) Week 3-2 Discussion Forum: One initial response & two peer feedback replies
 
3) Week 3-2 Personal Blog Reflection
 IP

7.
Elizabeth O'Brien
 Elizabeth,

I really enjoyed your post, but one of the things that I enjoyed the most was the embedded article that was linked. I can also see your point of view about reward and punishment being useful in learning as well. I also believe that this is powerful in learning, as without reward or punishment there may be less reason for an individual to participate in a learning type activity. Great post that made me think more about the material.

Miranda Singer

Miranda,

I enjoyed your post very much for several reasons. The first reason is because I, like you, am a psychology major and have scratched the surface of Piaget in other classes, but it was not as in depth as this course. I also really enjoyed your linking of assimilation and accommodation as this is a crucial idea as well. Great post!

Comments

  1. Hi Erin! You do a great job explaining the concepts in a very concise and understandable manner. I like that you brought in the example of dogs and how this idea of permanence with dogs relates to the same idea of infants. I also like that you brought up egocentrism, since that is a big piece in the difference in the cognitive developmental levels. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Erin,

    Your video was very interesting to watch especially because there was an added twist using a dog instead of a human child. When you said that "we would routinely test ideas," did you mean that was you that created and/or were in the video. If so, that's more awesome than I thought of this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Erin,

    I thought this was a great blog entry. Everything was explained in detail, but very concisely, and the video was a great touch. I can relate to it too, as my one of my pet's favorite games revolves around the fact that he has no idea where I am when I move behind a couch. Not many other people seemed to have considered the egocentrism aspect much, so I appreciate your analysis on that.

    I'm also a science major (chemistry), so I find it interesting that you felt that Piaget's perspective demonstrated your beliefs, as I couldn't fully say the same. Of course, there's much more to believing one of these perspectives than can be defined by a major, but I always find these different perspectives interesting. Thanks for sharing!

    Matt

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2-1 Social Cognitive Theory and Motivational Theory